Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A new way of thinking. And baking (blueberry coconut cakes).

So last year we found out my son is sensitive to gluten. Then to dairy. And soy. And some other foods. Then I had another baby and went on elimination diet because he seemed to react through my breast milk to a lot of foods. This is the way I found out that many of those foods weren't good for me either (or my husband). We also did a gene test to my son and found out he has got two genes related to gluten sensitivity, one from each parent. So our family is now gluten free, dairy free, soy free, corn free and mostly egg free (little experiments done with my son) and my husband might not completely follow my program ;). I am also trying to be grain free since I noticed that the last grain in my diet, rice, doesn't make me feel that good in large quantities either. My diet starts to resemble paleo diet!

I have had to learn a whole new way of cooking and baking. And thinking. I guess at first I thought of our new diet as limiting. But then I noticed that actually it opened a whole new world for me. I have tried so many different recipes, ways to prepare food and bake and new foods even that i would have never maybe tried if I had continued on our old diet. I have also been eating healthier than ever. And felt healthier. I realized that our new diet is not limiting but vice versa. It makes us feel better! I will start sharing my experiences on this journey with the food sensitivities (or allergies if you wish) here too I hope.

Today I made these little blueberry cakes. I baked them in the toaster oven in little cute Finnish Arabia baking dishes. They are ceramic. Four of them fit in the toaster oven perfectly. You could also use four muffin cups. I have been contemplating on buying those muffin cups made of silicone? Any experiences or thoughts about them anyone? Are they safe? No toxins leaching out?


Blueberry coconut cake
gluten free, dairy free, egg free, corn free, soy free, no refined sugars

1/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 flour potato starch
1/2 tbsp Ener-G egg replacer
1/2 tsp flax seed
1 tsp gluten and corn free baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
1/3 cup pineapple juice (or any other light unsweetened fruit juice)
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted

Mix dry ingredients together and add the rest. Mix, pour into ceramic little dishes or muffin cups and bake at 350 Fahrenheit (175 C) for 20-25 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment