Friday, January 3, 2014

Making crackers on Autoimmune Paleo Diet Day 2



We had some left overs from yesterday for breakfast and lunch. Yesterday I got weak in my attempt not to have any snack so for today I made for snack some grain free crackers which turned out pretty good. I had this great idea to eat them with US Wellness Meat's Liverwurst (night shade free, gluten free, dairy free and egg free!) and sliced cucumber. After eating it (of course after) I double checked the ingredients and realized that one of the spices, coriander, is a seed based spice and thus avoided on AIP diet. Oh well, next adventure is making my own liverwurst I guess (good recipes, anyone?) and I will eat the crackers with just cucumber and maybe smoked salmon. I am dreaming of creating a delicious recipe for some vegetable paste.

I have made these coconut flour chia seed crackers before (often!) but chia is not allowed on AIP. Using the recipe as a template I came up with this new recipe for AIP friendly crackers and they are pretty good I have to say. Even the kids approve them. 

Autoimmune Paleo Friendly Crackers (I think I am going to call them Friendly Crackers)

3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup sliced or grated zucchini (buy organic, zucchinis are on the "likely to be GMO" list)
1/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup warm water (warm so the coconut oil melts)
1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt or sea salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
A sprig of fresh thyme

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Mix all ingredients except the coconut flour in a food processor or a blender. 

3. Add coconut flour last. It gets thick so you might have to mix it by hand with a spoon or spatula in the end.

4. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put another parchment paper on top and use a rolling pin (or an empty wine bottle from your pre autoimmune paleo era) and roll the dough thin. It will cover the whole baking sheet.

5. Use a rotary cutter aka pizza cutter (also from the times you still ate pizza) and cut the crackers to the size you like before sticking them in the oven for about 20 minutes. Monitor them so they don't burn! (What I often do is when they look almost ready I turn off the oven and let them still sit and dry in the cooling oven. But you still have to monitor them, they could still burn.)

PS. Haven't still given up tea completely - had some organic English Breakfast tea with full fat coconut milk today. Be careful with coconut milks by the way, many of them have all sorts of icky additives. I buy often Aroy-D brand coconut milk which is in a BPA free carton and it is additive free. I also bought some shredded coconut from Tropical Traditions to start making my own coconut milk but haven't started yet.


10 comments:

  1. So you use a dry measuring cup for the coconut oil then melt it with the warm water? Just checking because the liquid measuring cup usually contains way more at 1/4 cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I measure the solid coconut oil (or just scoop 4 tbsp as 1/4 cup equals 4 tbsp) to some other container for melting. I am a very laid back measurer in general and rarely find it a problem with the kind of stuff I cook and bake but I WILL feel and eye the dough carefully before spreading it on the baking sheet and estimate if it is of right consistency - this same applies to other batters and cookings. I measure in a relaxed manner but might adjust later if the consistency seems off. Very backwards I know... Just can't help it. :)

      Delete
  2. I can't eat squash and have been trying to think of a substitute for it since this recipe sounds so good! Any thoughts on what else might work? Is the zucchini just adding moisture/binding power?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the zucchini's purpose is pretty much to bind and moisturize like you say. Hmmm, could grated carrots work? Or apple sauce? Sorry for delay in reply! Let me know if you come up with a good substitute!

      Delete
  3. On a different note, i just started AIP and shifted from coffee to black tea each morning. you mentioned above you haven't given up tea yet....do we have to on AIP? thanks! and looking forward to trying these crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What size is the baking sheet please? I'm trying to work out roughly how many crackers it will make. Is the zucchini put in raw or cooked first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is 17x13. It depends what size you will cut them but I usually get in average 30 depending what size I cut. I put the zucchini in raw. Grated.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this recipe, I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 6 months old. After surgeries, tons of medication and tired of feeling gross on side effects I'm trying AIP only. Been trying to figure out an egg free cracker, tortilla chips or something to eat with this awesome Sweet potato and apple slow cooker breakfast spread I made, It's so good and I like to snack in the afternoon on Guacamole AIP style. But haven't found something that works and I can eat. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got delicious, crumbly crackers. What did I do wrong?

    ReplyDelete