Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Apple crumb


Apples, apples and apples. We love apples. I got some from a friend's tree (thanks Christina!) and from our weekly Farm Fresh to You organic produce box and although we eat a lot of apples, I have had to get to work to use all these delicious apples. I have been baking apple cupcakes, making apple sauce and today I made apple crumb. The recipe is inspired by a recipe from The Allergen Free Bakers Handbook by Cybele Pascal but I made some slight changes.

Fruit filling:
5 apples, peeled, cored and cut in small pieces
1/2 cup raisins
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup maple/agave/coconut or similar syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp tapioca or potato starch

Crumb topping:
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch/potato starch
1/4 tsp xanthan gum (optional, was in the original recipe)
1 cup quinoa flakes (I had the flour out first accidentally if it confuses you in the photo)
3/4 cup coconut crystals (or brown sugar)
1 cup palm shortening
1 tsp vanilla sugar or powder
some alternative milk or juice if it is too dry

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the fruit filling and pour it in a greased 8 x 8 inch pan. Mix the crumb topping and crumble it over the fruit. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling up around the sides and the top is golden. let rest a while before serving (difficult, I know!).

The end result was really yummy but slightly dry so I poured some thick vanilla hemp milk on it and it tasted a lot like vanilla sauce. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment