Thursday, January 2, 2014

How to prepare spaghetti squash

I had to hunt down the squash for its photo shoot from under the couch
where it had rolled when my almost 3 year old was playing with it.
Spaghetti squash is a staple food in my home. It is very handy for grain free and low carb meals.

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. (You can put the squash in the oven before it has heated too, just takes longer.)

2. Cut the spaghetti squash in half.

TIP: If it feels hard to cut through the tough skin you can heat it whole in the oven or in a microwave if you use one for a while to soften it enough to cut it in half. In this case, poke some holes in it with a fork so it doesn't explode and cause a huge mess in your oven. You can also bake the whole squash until a knife goes through it easily and then cut it in half but I think it is easier to remove the seeds from the squash before cooking it.

2. Remove the seeds from the squash halves and put the halves in a pan the cut side facing down with an inch of water.

3. Bake in about 375-400 degrees for an hour or until a fork or knife goes easily through the skin.



4. Let cool down a little bit and shred the "spaghetti" from the skin using a fork.

I don't know why the photo won't rotate to a horizontal photo.
The computers don't always seem to do what I tell them to do.

5. Eat as is or add some olive oil and fresh herbs (I use oregano and basil). You can use it in place of spaghetti and add a spaghetti sauce of your choice on it too. Then you don't need the oil and herbs. I use those when I eat it plain or as a side.


No comments:

Post a Comment