Monday, July 20, 2009

Stamp stamp stamp!

 

We are getting settled in our new home. There is still a lot to unpack, but you can't unpack all day so today we made potato stamps. We made these a lot when I was a child. I didn't have any rubber stamps at least early in childhood but we had always potatoes.

Basically you just take a raw potato, cut it in half and carve a shape on it. I carved the outlines of the shape first with a knife and then cut the outsides of it off. But you could just leave the outsides too and carve from the middle (look at the photo below to understand better what I am trying to explain). Dip the stamp in paint, or paint the shape with a paint brush. We used poster paint and it was a bit thick for this purpose so next time I will mix it with water. You can also use water colors.

When you get bored with the shape you carved, just cut a layer off and make a new one. You probably know this already but boiled potatoes you can use as a non toxic "glue stick"! Try also what kind of stamps other cut vegetables make.

(My son has a phase in which he only paints with red paint!)

No comments:

Post a Comment