Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Gluten free play dough


Making your own play dough is fun because the kids can participate in the process too. My son has been recently diagnosed with wheat allergy and I just realized today that it of course means that he can't use the regular wheat play dough we used to make (it took me a few months to connect the dots!), or even the store bought ones I guess. I found this recipe online and we made it since my son is home with a cold (he started this fall in a Montessori school!) It turned out ok, a little stickier than the one with wheat. It sticks to the table at least now when still a little warm so I am not completely happy with it but it is better than nothing!

I got the recipe from here.

Gluten Free Play Dough

1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tsp cooking oil
Food coloring (optional, try also cooking spinach or beets in the water you use for natural color)

Mix ingredients. Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until mixture forms a ball. Cool completely before storing in a sealable plastic bag (or a jar you can close, Sirpa's note).

No comments:

Post a Comment