Monday, October 21, 2013

Fermenting increases nutritional value and digestability (and makes food delicious!)

From left: Coconut milk kefir, kombucha, home made bone broth, fermented pickles, ginger ale, elderberry syrup, home made deodorant, ginger bug, sauerkraut.
I have been experimenting with fermenting but now I am really getting excited about it. The store bought vinegary pickles, mustards and commercial sodas don't taste that good to me anymore either after getting the taste of the real stuff! My fridge is starting to fill with ferments like sauerkraut, pickles, kombucha, water kefir, ginger ale, ginger soda, coconut milk kefir, coconut water kefir, ketchup, mustard, apple sauce. I will make separate postings of all these ferments soon.

In the old days they used to ferment most foods to preserve them since they didn't have fridges. It was a necessity. But most of us have lost these skills. In the process the food became more easily digestible and the nutritional value increased. I read on a website somewhere that there would be much more probiotics in fermented foods than there are in the probiotic supplements you buy from the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment