Tuesday, December 17, 2013

DIY: Antibacterial soap (Finally FDA says antibacterial soaps might not work OR be safe!)

Most soaps you see in the US are antibacterial. Scientists have been warning people that these soaps can help create resistant super bugs. The chemicals have been a reason to worry as well. Now - finally - FDA came out saying that they might not be safe and that there is no proof that they work any better than just washing your hands with soap and water! Read the whole thing from here: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm378393.htm

Using a natural soap and water works just fine. The trick is to wash your hands long enough and rinse those flu germs down the drain. You can also make your own antibacterial soap. What I do is I take an old foaming soap pump, fill it almost full with water and add then a squeeze or two of Dr. Bronner's soap. Sometimes I add a few drops of essential oils (most of them are antibacterial). I have heard some people even add apple cider vinegar but I haven't tried it myself.

1 comment: