Saturday, December 28, 2013

Experiment: 30 days on autoimmune paleo diet!

I never thought of myself as a person with a lot of illnesses even though I had a lot of colds, stomach issues, eczema, issues with blood sugar etc. After going gluten and dairy free a lot of the issues resolved but some still remain. By listening to my body I have been moving slowly closer to the so called Paleo diet. I don't really like the "paleo diet" name but I use it in lack of a better word to describe it.

The truth is that the modern paleo diet is probably quite far from the diet people ate in the paleolithic era. The plants even are different. The people ate different kinds of foods in different areas. I really recommend this video Debunking the paleo diet by Christina Warinner, an expert in ancient diets. It gives even an avid paleo diet follower some new perspectives and interesting information.

To start the 2014 I am going for 30 days on the so called Autoimmune Paleo diet. My husband will join me and I will keep the kids mostly on it but not sure if 100%. I will follow it religiously for 30 days. Mostly because it is so restrictive that I am curious to see first what happens when eliminating so many foods and what happens when I introduce them back one by one after 30 days. I will keep you posted! I try to report back as often as possible.

From the Autoimmune-paleo website:

The autoimmune protocol is a version of the Paleo diet (no grains, legumes or dairy) where a person also avoids the following:
-eggs
-nuts
-seeds (including cocoa, coffee, and seed-based spices)
-nighshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, and the spices derived from them)
-alcohol
-NSAIDs
-excess fructose (more than 20g/day)
-potential gluten cross-reactive foods
-non nutritive sweeteners (including stevia)
-emulsifiers, thickeners, and other food additives

No comments:

Post a Comment