Sunday, January 12, 2014

Finnish Spinach Pancakes (Autoimmune) Paleo Style (Kids' Favorites and They Are Vegan Too!)

I grew up in Finland eating spinach pancakes with lingonberry preserves. We ate also blood pancakes (also with lingonberries) and carrot pancakes. And regular pancakes of course. They were all made with wheat flour, milk and eggs. We can't eat any of those now so we have created all kinds of different versions of gluten free, grain free and vegan spinach pancakes.

I decided to try adding a handful of spinach to the plantain pancake recipe and pulsed the blender a few times. As the spinach changed the consistency, to hold it together I added a couple of tablespoons of arrowroot starch. That's all. Below in the photo you can see the results. 

We eat our spinach pancakes with unsweetened apple sauce. If we ate sugar we would eat them with lingon preserves from Ikea... Mmmm. I wish I could get some plain lingonberries from somewhere, anyone know how I could get my hands on some? I like them without any sweetener, just crushed. They last in the fridge like that for a long time too.


4 comments:

  1. Yum! I bet my daughter would gobble these up! I'll have to try it this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, let me know how you guys like them! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. I wonder if a handful of zucchini shreds might work too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would! Let me know if you try it, how it works out! Sorry for delay in responding, I had missed this comment somehow.

      Delete