I am packing today to go for a couple days to pediatric massage training by Liddle Kidz Foundation. My life has changed so much from when I last used to travel for work. That was when I was working for Left Alliance in Finland, a political party. I was the head of communications and traveled often. My suit case was filled with business casual (very casual in my case but still) clothes, makeup and nice extra shoes. A novel. Now I have comfy clothes, my yoga mat, woolen socks, a parenting or nutrition book and a cooler full of food. Before I also had all kinds of things like ibuprofen or cortisone or lip balm with me just in case but after going gluten free and especially after going paleo I don't even need to think about packing any of those anymore. (I save these styrofoam boxes whenever I get any cold products shipped, they are very well insulated for situations like this! And this one fits in my suit case!)
Eating out while on a restricted diet is tricky so I travel with food. Sometimes I have packed a toaster oven with us and then we can buy food to cook in the hotel room or wherever we are staying. This time I packed ingredients for wraps, salads and snacks:
- coconut wraps (I use Paleo wraps) - use any of the items below to fill the wraps - breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- cabbage slaw in a ziplock bag: white and red
cabbage, kale, shredded carrots, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Herbamare (mix in a ziplock and shake)
- cooked chicken (this recipe) - I froze some of it overnight so it would stay cool longer- sauerkraut
- canned salmon/tuna (check ingredients!)
- coconut kefir
- sauteed greens (chard, sauteed in broth and garlic)
- hearts of palm in glass jar
- plantain chips (recipes online, check out this one)
- boiled whole yams
- plate and utensils and a swiss army knife (If you fly, don't pack knives in your carry on, believe me, I have done that accidentally a few times and have paid a lot of money to keep my knife in paid storage at the airport, it is now worth its weight in dollar bills probably.)
|I have eaten this on airplanes straight from the bag |
with a plastic fork. It has stayed fine in my purse
even without a cooler for very long times.
For more recipes, check this out!