Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Sweet potato, greens and chicken curry (AIP / Paleo / Grain free / Dairy free / Vegan version)
You can make this vegan by leaving out the chicken.
Big bunch of greens (I used water spinach here)
Several sweet potatoes
Mushrooms of your choice
Salt to taste
Turmeric to taste
1-2 cups of broth (can be vegetable or meat broth)
Optional (seed based spices are not included in the beginning of AIP diet so these can be left out as well):
Ground black pepper, cumin, coriander and mustard seed to taste
(These are spices included in the curry spice, just like the other spices above like turmeric which gives it the yellow color - I have made nightshade free curry spice myself in the past by mixing these spices but leaving out chili.)
1. Peel sweet potatoes and cut them in cubes. Chop mushrooms and greens.
2. Grate a piece of fresh ginger and chop garlic.
3. Heat up the coconut oil in a big pan on medium heat.
4. Add garlic, ginger and other spices (not salt yet) and stir them in the oil. Be careful not to burn them.
5. Add sweet potatoes and broth and let cook (covered) for a few minutes.
6. Cut chicken in strips and add them in the pan.
7. When the chicken and sweet potatoes are nearly done, add mushrooms and greens.
8. Last add salt and taste it. Add spices as needed.
This recipe can be found as well from Phoenix Helix' AIP Roundtable